Nombre: Jenn
Ubicación: Las Matas de Farfan, Dominican Republic

In May 2005, I graduated from Carroll College with a B.A. in History and a minor in Anthropology. As useful as my majors are, I'm working in Agriculture with the Peace Corps in the Dominican Republic!

18 agosto 2006

My Dominican House

I am in my house!! It's wonderful to finally have my own space to pass my free time (which is a lot right now) and when I want to close out the Dominican world, I can always find a way to do it. Now, living alone in the Dominican culture is very rare. Often times, if a woman is widowed, and her children are grown, the neighbors or kids will send their own kids to live with the woman. When I told them that I wanted to live alone (although an american has lived in my community), most say "aren't you afraid?" I just have to tell them no, and explain that most Americans are very comfortable and actually prefer to stay alone. I've had kids say they are going to stay with me, and a steady number of men trying to say that they will be more than happy to stay in my house to take care of me. But I just tell them that I have my cat, and I am completely safe and happy to be alone.

My first night I was in my house, I was having troubles closing my door, it just wouldn't lock, so I went over to my neighbor's house, who is also my Honey-To-Do, so ask for some help. He came over, locked me in my house, but before he shut the door, handed me his machete and told me to sleep with it under my little head. So rather than cuddling up with a teddy bear, blanket, or boyfriend, I now sleep every night with a very sharp machete. I'm also in the process of getting a puppy, one that barks. Here in the DR, dogs are possibly more effective security measures than locks on the doors. I'm going to name her Pixie, in memory of my old self :).

I also attempted my first Dominican meal. Last week I successfully made Moro de Guandules y Berenjena Guisada, which is rice and beans with roasted eggplant. Since I've gotten here, I've been very adamant that I'm not going to cook Dominican food for myself, and I haven't actively been learning how to cook. So, everyone has been bugging me about when I am going to learn how to cook, because "Ana did." Well, finally I decided, I have my own house, I'm going to cook a Dominican dinner. Almost all by myself, I was able to cook, to the liking of several Dominicans. One even said that I can now get married. Not ready to do that, but at least everyone is off my back about learning how to cook.

I hope all is well. I would love to hear from you. Here is my address, again. I know that postage is getting ridiculous, so I won't rag you for packages, but if you are feeling generous:

Cuerpo de Paz
Jennifer Bingham, PCV
Av Bolivar 451, Gazcue
Apartado Postal 1412
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic

I would like pictures, of your kids, your dogs, you, scenery, so if you have any great doubles, I know that a normal size letter is only 84 cents. Grandma is doing a great job of writing letters, and I have enjoyed every last story about pinochle parties and the weather. It's not taking much to entertain me, so you guys could even write to tell me that you ate a great dinner at Toi's or walked to the river and I'd be happy.

Let me know how life is in the US, or if you aren't in the US, elsewhere. Thanks for all you support. I know I couldn't be here without it.